A garage door works well until it doesn’t. For many homeowners, it’s one of the home assets that we take for granted. While garage doors last for a long time, the mechanisms that make it open and close will wear out after a while. This deterioration is something that naturally occurs with frequent use.
Your garage keeps your vehicles secure, stores your valuable possessions, and is an entry into your home. If the opener fails, you don’t want to leave it unfixed for too long. Otherwise, you can put your valuables and the security of your home at risk.
When you need a new garage door opener installation, give State Line Door and Lift a call. We offer reliable garage door opener installation in Kansas City, MO. Our team will be ready to help as soon as you make the call.
What to Do When Garage Doors Break
Most often, a garage door opener fails because of regular wear and tear. The motor of your garage door is consistently running, opening, and closing. While garage doors can withstand such motion, they will eventually fail.
Garage doors can malfunction at a few places, starting with the motor. Other culprits may be the chain (if it has one), the band, or the hardware.
If your garage door opener needs a replacement, you have two simple options:
- Hire professional garage door installers, like our team at State Line Door and Lift
- Do a DIY garage door installation
Hiring a professional garage door installer is easier and safer. A professional team can assess your situation and quickly install a new opener—if that is what you require. They may even be able to help you with a simple repair. Calling in the pros is safer, too, since you won’t have to handle large, bulky items while standing on a ladder.
Here at State Line Door and Lift, we have the experience to get your garage mechanism working. We’ll research the right part for your existing system, get the proper hardware, and professionally install it in no time at all.
How Much Does It Cost to Install a Garage Door Opener?
New garage door system installs are not as expensive as you may think. At State Line Door and Lift, we offer competitive pricing and have a team of expert installers. You’ll always have a local expert you can call with any questions at any time, before or after the install. We are your Kansas City neighbors and pick up the phone just for you.
If you opt for the DIY route, you also can research and find out what a hardware store offers. Home Depot has openers for around a couple hundred dollars. Openers themselves also aren’t as expensive as some of your household electronics. You can find a decent garage door opener for a reasonable price, but just make sure it will work with your current door. Home Depot also may perform garage door installations, with home services depending on where you live.
Lowes also has a reasonably priced door deals for conventional garage doors. They offer a selection of more advanced door openers, including Smart compatible openers for a new garage and even Wi-Fi compatible openers. Installation is also possible through Lowes’ install program, depending on your area.
Both Home Depot and Lowes offer reasonable prices, but their technicians are not always specialists in garage doors. At State Line Door and Lift, we have years of experience in this specific field. We work with you on a personal level from A to Z.
Can I Install a Garage Door Opener on My Own?
The answer to this question boils down to confidence. If you’re the type of person who likes handy projects and believes can complete them, then it’s possible. Below, we give you a few steps so that you can get an idea of the process.
One thing to note is that installing garage doors and openers isn’t like installing a regular door. It takes skill, time, patience, and know-how. This complex process is where State Line Door and Lift can help. Our professional installation garage door is second-to-none.
How to Install a Garage Door Opener
If you’ve decided to install your own opener, figure out which type of equipment you’ll need. You can check your existing garage door brand and specs and then try to find the same one. Some brands have specific steps. Below, we outline the general steps that you can use to install a Craftsman or Chamberlain garage door opener.
Step 1: Prep Work—Safety First
The very first step is to make sure your workspace is safe and clear of debris. Here are some tips:
- Be sure to get a ladder that puts you at the reach of your opener. Don’t mess with a chair or a stool.
- Once you’re can reach your opener, unplug it from the power. This precaution will make for safe installation and replacement.
- Take off the cover, which will reveal the wiring and lightbulb to your unit.
- Before you proceed, understand the wiring. Not all garage door openers operate in the same way, but the wiring is usually similar. Even if you’ve installed a unite before, take the time to understand your garage door wires. Take a picture so you can remember where all the pieces fall into place.
- Remove the lightbulb.
- Keep the door closed and balanced. You want to pull the emergency release so that the door does not crash down on you or others nearby as you work.
- Lift the door approximately halfway and let go. It should not budge. If it does, your torsion spring may require adjustment. The adjustments for the torsion spring are dangerous, so call in the professionals to manage this process for you.
Now you can move onto replace your garage door opener.
Step 2: Remove the Old Garage Door Opener
Now that you’ve safely gotten familiar with the wiring in your opener, you have to remove it.
Before proceeding, please note that if at any time you need help, you can contact us at State Line Door and Lift. We aim to give you the best tips as a free service to you, but your safety is our top concern. If you want help with your garage door opener at any point in this process, give us a call.
Here are the steps for removing an old opener.
- Get some help. You’ll be removing your old garage door opener, and it can be heavy.
- Notice the garage door opener is a long device, not just the motor. It has the main operator and the line and chain as well. Then, it has the header that connects to the actual garage door and the safety mechanism.
- You’ll need to unbolt your old opener from its brackets. This step is where help comes in handy. You want a buddy to help you sustain the weight of the opener as you unbolt. You want to make sure it doesn’t hit the floor from that height.
- Note: If you’re watching videos online on doing this yourself, you’ll notice that in some videos, only one person removes the existing mechanism. A word to the wise: If this is one of your first times doing this, please ask for help. Doing it on your own can cause an unnecessary safety risk.
- When you’re ready, you’ll lower the old garage door opener safely to the floor, including the brackets and header that connects it to the door.
As you can see, the above is a generalized and simplified list of steps, but it still takes time. Calling in a professional service is your best bet when replacing. We don’t recommend following the above steps unless you feel confident about it.
Step 3: Install the New Garage Door Opener
Now that you’ve removed your old garage opener, you’ll need to install the new one. This stage is where you’ll also stop and decide whether you want to hire a service such as State Line Door and Lift or continue to do it yourself.
If you choose to do it yourself, you’ll need to follow additional instructions on the box for the new garage opener. Be sure to get those out and have them handy.
- Take everything out of the box to make sure all components are present. Depending on the door opener you choose, you’ll see slightly different hardware.
- Put together the components following the instructions in the box. Different brands carry different directions, so you’ll have to read the explanation for your specific door opening device carefully.
- If you have a new garage door that’s compatible with Smart technology today, set aside those instructions for later. You’ll need to test that the technology works with your new garage door.
- Once you’ve put together the hardware according to the directions, you’ll begin the installation.
- You’ll be working with mounting brackets that will hold your garage door in place. The mount with some brands is a flimsy strap. If that is your case, you will need to buy an angle iron for a solid mount. You also can attach an angle brace if the opener is six or more inches from the ceiling. Make sure that all brackets are secure and safely in place.
- Be safe, take the time it takes, and don’t force any pieces into doing a job they shouldn’t. Your garage door will thank you for it.
If you don’t have the necessary tools, you may be better off hiring a professional service. At State Line, we have experience installing a wide variety of brands. We can help with repairing or installing torsion springs, cables, and other components as well. We’re here for you. Especially when it comes to a new garage door, we’re the local pros Kansas City residents call.
When to Replace a Garage Door Opener
Most often, you will have to replace the door or opener in your garage because it has broken or no longer opens as smoothly as it should. These issues create safety concerns because a garage door gives access to your house. When it’s stuck open or broken, your garage and your house become unsafe.
Another reason you might want a new garage door is if you wish to outfit your home with Smart Home technology. This technology lets you operate the door remotely through an app. Some systems will automatically open the door when you arrive home.
There are also cosmetic reasons. Sometimes, nothing breaks. Some people just want a new door, which is understandable. When upgrading or remodeling a home, you want the garage door to complement the rest of the house. With new doors, you may require updated garage door openers.
When it’s time for a new garage door or opener for your home, give State Line Door and Lift a call. We can have you outfitted with the best doors at the best prices in a jiffy.
What’s the Best Brand of Garage Door Openers?
Craftsman is one of the leading brands and a popular household name for garage doors. The company has a reputation for quality, and it has secured numerous homes throughout the United States. Another top brand is Chamberlain, which has become increasingly popular for its line of Smart Garage Door devices.
Ultimately, the best brand is a matter of preference and the qualities that you expect from your product. If the opener you have has served you well for many years, then it may be best to stick with that brand. After all, if it works with your garage doors, why not stick with it?
If you’re unhappy with your existing door system and want a change, you have many options. At State Line, we’re happy to discuss the various brands to help you figure out which one will work best for your home.
You also can ask friends and family about their garage doors. If you’ve noticed a neighbor replacing their mechanism recently, then strike up a friendly chat and see if this is a brand of opener they recommend for your doors.
Finally, on your hunt for the best brand, you can go online and see what other people are saying. Never skimp on quality with your opener. Look for products with four or five-star ratings. Online reviews will let you see honest opinions and hear about other people’s experiences with a specific brand. You can find out what brands people rave about and unique issues to keep an eye out for down the road.
Need a New Garage Door Opener?
When it’s time to install a garage door opener, call us at State Line Door and Lift. We’ll help you with all things garage doors and service. We’re proud to serve the Kansas City area with garage door openers, and because we’re local to you, we know the type of garage doors needed for your area and our weather. Service is paramount to us, and we’ll be happy to assist you. When you call us for your garage door needs, you’ll only have to do it once. We’re your one-stop-shop for garage doors and service.
Don’t waste time trying to figure out how and when to replace your garage door and garage door opener. Give us a call instead! You can call us directly or fill out a contact form with your name and email address to schedule a service call. We help you until you’re satisfied, and that’s just what we’re going to do.
Give us a call today!